Questions about software/hardware single step

Hi,
We are porting GDB to Blackfin. Currently, we have two kinds of the target.

1. Simuator which does not support single step.

2. Hardware board which supports hardware single step.

So we have to use software single step for simulator. And we expect to use hardware single step for hardware board.

Question:
Is it possible to choose between software single step and hardware single step depending on if hardware single step is available on target?