Re: Can't build gdb for mingw32 if not native? :-(

Steve Folly wrote:

Some of our apps run full screen and having a remote machine to debug on helps quite a bit.

I guess dual-screen capable PCs will help here, but our current hardware (supplied by our customer) doesn't support that.

I'm nearly sure that remote debugging has been done using mingw tools although I could be mistaken. It's probably worth asking on the mingw mailing lists about this.

I think Cygwin may be the way to go - some makefiles we have running on OS X are using utilities like sed and grep, and we'd like to port them to Windows with the minimum of fuss.

Msys provides much of what you need for comfortable use of unix style tools, the basic install definitely includes sed and grep. I build gnu tools with mingw/msys on a regular basis, including gcc cross compilers.

http://www.mingw.org/

This wiki page also provides some useful information on building a cross compiler in that environment.

http://www.mingw.org/MinGWiki/index.php/mingw%20hosted%20cross%20compiler

Dave