Re: Moving GDB sources to subversion?

On Sat, Oct 29, 2005 at 12:56:02AM +0200, Mark Kettenis wrote:
> > Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 15:22:53 -0700
> > From: Joel Brobecker <brobecker@adacore.com>
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > I think GCC is getting ready to move to subversion as the revision
> > control system. Is there any similar plan for GDB?
>
> Why should we?

I'd rather not rehash the months of discussion from the GCC list about
this :-)

>From my point of view:

  - It's similar enough to CVS to not be terribly disruptive.
  - It's generally more robust than CVS.
  - Atomic changesets are a nice thing to have nowadays.
  - Branches are cheaper, and merges are easier.
  - Tags don't lock the repository for half an hour.
  - Oh, and staying consistent for those of us who work on both
    GCC and GDB.

I've used it, I like it, I think it's a mild improvement rather than a
revolution.  I'm not violent about it.

Someone needs to think about how the src repository would work, though.
Checking out just part of a subversion repository is harder than it was
in CVS.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery, LLC