"A word-aligned memory transfer mechanism is needed"

The description of the 'm' packet in (gdb)Remote Serial Protocol says:

Neither gdb nor the stub assume that sized memory transfers are
assumed using word aligned accesses. FIXME: A word aligned memory
transfer mechanism is needed.

This mysterious admonition is repeated in the description of the
reply.  The text seems to date back to the original check-in of the
docs.

At first I assumed that this was trying to say that ADDR isn't
necessarily word-aligned.  I think that's worth stating clearly.

But then I realized that it might be trying to say that a read or
write of a word-sized value to a word-aligned memory location may not
be carried out by the stub using a word-sized access; it is free to
use the appropriate number of byte accesses.  In other words, this
packet doesn't provide the kind of control needed to access some
memory-mapped I/O devices.

Do folks agree that this is what that meant to say?  If we're not sure
what it means, we should take it out.