Re: libGDB and gdbserver questions

On Wed, Nov 16, 2005 at 10:45:06AM +1100, Donny Kurniawan wrote:
> > This isn't the problem.  Extending the GDB native backend to handle
> > multiple processes wouldn't be hard; it's extending the user interface
> > and process control and breakpoint management and shared library
> > support and so on to handle multiple processes that is difficult.
> >
> > GDB simply doesn't support what you want to do.  Yet.
> >

> I do suspect that there are some "managers" (breakpoint manager,
> stepping manager etc.) somewhere in GDB. Well, it can be clearly seen
> that the UI (text UI, curses, etc.) doesn't support multiple
> processes. But, from your reply (just to reconfirm), you are saying
> that the managers themselves are not easily extended to support
> multiple processes?

None of GDB supports multiple processes.

Presenting them as threads would work with a sufficiently clever stub,
but be very inefficient.  For instance, a breakpoint would have to be
manually inserted into each one of them.  GDB also does not have any
notion of "thread-specific" memory - if your processes don't share
memory, then getting GDB to read the correct thread's memory will be
hard.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery, LLC