Question about ELF core file sections

I'm trying to get core file support working on hppa64-hp-hpux11.11. I'm trying to reuse the infrastructure from corelow.c and the "new" regset_from_core_section() interface, but I'm a bit confused about how it's supposed to work.

corelow.c:get_core_registers() is hardcoded to look for registers in sections ".reg", ".reg2", ".reg-xfp" -- are these section names somehow standard? I don't find these documented in the ELF specs. I see that on Linux variants, this ".reg" section is actually synthesized by bfd. This all seems to be a bit convoluted :(

On HPUX, there is a program header type HP_CORE_PROC that points to a datastructure with the register info. Is there anyway to use the existing interface to get to this info? If not, it looks like I can get it to work using core_vec, but that uses an interface that is marked deprecated....

Any hints and help appreciated...

randolph