Re: Output from target in MI mode

On Fri, Nov 18, 2005 at 09:47:15AM -0500, Bob Rossi wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 18, 2005 at 05:43:46PM +0300, Vladimir Prus wrote:
> > Sure, that's what happening now. But that pty handling is a bit messy, since
> > gdb already knows what output comes from inferior, it could just prepend it
> > with some character.
>
> Actually, I don't think it does. GDB allows the inferior to run, and the
> inferior's output get's directed directly to the terminal (I believe).

That is correct.  If GDB easily knew which was which, it would already
be using the MI-formatted output.

> > > The 'target' in teh above sentence I believe is refering to when GDB is
> > > using a remote protocol to a specific piece of hardware. It's not
> > > refering to the host.
> >
> > Ok, then it's not clear to me either. There's specific packet in remote
> > protocol ("OXXXX") which allows to pass arbitrary text from remote side to
> > gdb. Is this what's printed with "@". Or there some other messages from
> > remote that are also printed with "@" prefix?
>
> I'm not sure. I've never seen output with the "@" before it. If you are
> on the host, you will not get the "@" before the I/O from the inferior
> process. Someone else might be able to give you more details on when
> target I/O is done, if at all.

Bob was right again; it's used for the remote console output packets
and was never implemented for anything else.

At this point I suspect it should be removed from the MI.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery, LLC