Re: Maintainer policy for GDB

> From: Paul Gilliam <pgilliam@us.ibm.com>
> Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 09:56:14 -0800
> Cc: Joel Brobecker <brobecker@adacore.com>, cagney@gnu.org,
>         jtc@acorntoolworks.com, fnf@ninemoons.com,
>         Peter.Schauer@regent.e-technik.tu-muenchen.de, ezannoni@redhat.com
>
> On Friday 18 November 2005 04:39, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > > Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 15:10:20 -0800
> > > From: Joel Brobecker <brobecker@adacore.com>
> > >
> > > About the voting system: I would also prefer to avoid this. The history
> > > of the GDB maintenance community since I joined shows that we're able
> > > to work together without unsolvable disagreements.
> >
> > How far into the past does your history go?  I've seen unsolvable
> > disagreements less than a year ago.
>
> Do you have a URL into the mailing list archive?

I started to look for it, but then I read your other comments and
realized that you were mocking me.  So I won't bother looking for the
relevant messages.  Some of them were in private mail, so there's no
URLs anyway.

But reality doesn't change if there's no URL to show as evidence.  If
you don't believe me that these things happened, ask others here, they
will tell you.

> Is there a technological solution to this problem?  Something that could
> tell if a person were NOT subscribed to the list and send the mail directly?

I don't know of any technological solution, except to configure the
list server to filter addresses in order to prevent multiple messages.
Most mailing lists don't do that, and FWIW I'm used to have double
messages, they don't annoy me.  That's why I cannot understand why
people bother to use Mail-Followup-To.  IMHO it causes more trouble
than it's worth.