Re: Maintainer policy for GDB

On Sat, Nov 19, 2005 at 12:33:38AM +0200, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 16:46:20 -0500
> > From: Daniel Jacobowitz <drow@false.org>
> > Cc: Ian Lance Taylor <ian@airs.com>, gdb@sourceware.org
> >
> > Here's the counter question: if we force people to take the
> > responsibility, why will they do a good job?
>
> I wasn't suggesting to force a responsibility.  And we cannot enforce
> it, anyway, under your suggestions, since being authorized means to
> have the same rights with less duties.  We all are busy people, so
> it's quite possible we will wind up with several authorized
> maintainers and no responsible maintainers.

For that, all I have to offer you is that there's no way to end up as a
global maintainer without accepting this responsibility.  Of course
it's diffused across the entire group of GMs, but that's always been
the case.

If in practice it turns out we don't have anyone in this slot, I don't
think the system will fall apart; although I think it would be better
for GDB if we did have some.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery, LLC