Re: Maintainer policy for GDB

On Fri, Nov 18, 2005 at 08:31:34PM +0200, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> Is there a technological solution to this problem?  Something that could
>> tell if a person were NOT subscribed to the list and send the mail directly?
>
>I don't know of any technological solution, except to configure the
>list server to filter addresses in order to prevent multiple messages.
>Most mailing lists don't do that, and FWIW I'm used to have double
>messages, they don't annoy me.  That's why I cannot understand why
>people bother to use Mail-Followup-To.  IMHO it causes more trouble
>than it's worth.

Dunno if it helps but, coincidentally enough, I've transitioned this
list to using a feature of the mailing list software which adds a
subscribed.

This isn't foolproof since it just does a raw lookup of the senders
email address in the subscriber database and could be fooled by extra
"stuff" in an email address but if do you see the field, you can be
sure that the person who sent the message is subscribed.

cgf