Re: ARM RDI

On Tue, Nov 29, 2005 at 03:11:30PM +0100, Simon Richter wrote:
> Hi,

> >>I think this one is probably best now...  I discussed it with Andrew at
> >>the Summit and we agreed it was the way to go.  But like dejagnu removal
> >>it's taking a long time to finally do it...
>
> >Does anyone object?  If not, let's just do it.
>
> For a number of CPUs, RDI is the only standard there is; it is the kind
> of "obsolete" where they want people to buy their newer CPUs, not the
> kind where there is a better standard. I'm fairly certain that there are
> several trees where RDI works just fine as there are a number of
> companies selling gdb based solutions for older ARM CPUs; the
> interesting part will be getting those changes back from them.

There are a number of other ways to use RDI besides rdi-share.  I
believe Cygnus produced an RDI<->GDB conversion daemon and it may still
be available from Red Hat; I know CodeSourcery also ships such a
beast:

  http://www.codesourcery.com/gnu_toolchains/arm/faq.html#c_rdi

We're only talking about the in-tree copy of rdi-share, which is a
different beast alltogether.  I don't even think it works with some
current RDI targets.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery, LLC