Re: Return to Reverse Execution

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2006 13:00:31 -0800
From: Michael Snyder <msnyder@redhat.com>
CC: Johan Rydberg <jrydberg@virtutech.com>,         "Frank Ch. Eigler" <fche@redhat.com>,         Dave Brolley <brolley@redhat.com>, Eric Bachalo <ebachalo@redhat.com>

So here is my proposed gdb user interface.
  1) A set of new commands that mimic the existing ones,
  to include:
	reverse-step (rs)
	reverse-next (rn)
	reverse-continue (rc)
	reverse-finish (rf)

May I raise again the issue of names?  That is, could we please
consider

	back-step
	previous
	back-continue
	back-finish

?  I think ``reverse'' is ambiguous: it doesn't actually say that we
are going backwards, just that we are reversing the direction, like
some kind of toggle.  Reverse would be okay if we had some global
direction flag which ``reverse'' command would reverse.  This is not
the case: these commands will _always_ go backwards, even if we
implement exec-direction and the user sets it to `backward'.

Eli, I'm certainly willing to consider it, but as I review the previous discussion, it seems like you were the only proponant of these names.

I do like "previous", perhaps as a synonym or alias.
Come to that, alias-commands are easy, we could always
add these names as alternatives.

Anybody else feel that "back" or "backward" is a better prefix
than "reverse"?  Or perhaps that the syntax should be implemented
as a true command prefix?  With perhaps both alternatives allowed?