Re: Re: Really cross compiling gdb.

Hi Simon,

> Simon Richter <Simon.Richter@picotux.com> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> James Steward wrote:
>
> > This development board has heaps of RAM and CF disk space so I
> > thought about compiling gdb to run on the development platform but
> > alas with the --host=arm-xscale-linux-gnu and
> > --target=arm-xscale-linux-gnu and the readline workaround the gdb
> > application is still a i386 executable (the build machine).
>
> Setting both host and target should usually work, however IIRC there are
>
> a few broken configure scripts out there that set build=host if only
> host is given, later on determine that build==host, so it's obviously a
> native build and no cross compiler prefix is needed, so the host gcc is
> used.
>
> Setting "--build=`./config.guess`" or something similar worked for us,
> at least. :-)
>
>     Simon

Thanks for the tip - but it doesn't seem to have worked for me :-(

My configure command now looks like this.

../configure  --prefix=/usr/local/arm-linux/gcc-3.4.4-glibc-2.3.5/arm-xscale-linux-gnu/ --program-prefix=arm-xscale-linux-gnu- --build=`../config.guess` --target=arm-xscale-linux-gnu --host=arm-xscale-linux-gnu

Still the i386 gcc is used rather than the cross arm-xscale-linux-gnu-gcc, and of course file gdb/gdb says ;
gdb/gdb: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), for GNU/Linux 2.2.0, dynamically linked (uses shared libs), not stripped
When I was hoping for an ARM executable.

I configured and compiled in a fresh subdir so as not to have any old files laying around from previous attemps.

Is it worth noting that the sources are from Debians stable sources..
gdb_6.3.orig.tar.gz
gdb_6.3-6.diff.gz

Maybe do I need to set CC=arm-xscale-linux-gnu-gcc or something?  I think I tried that yesterday and it wasn't helping - but maybe with the --build set as well?

I appreciate your thoughts.

Regards,
James.