Re: [RFC] multiple breakpoints from FILE:LINE

I'll read the rest of the replies momentarily but...

On Fri, Jan 13, 2006 at 05:42:12AM -0500, Paul Hilfinger wrote:

>    break FUNCTION
>
> in C++, GDB currently presents one with a list of choices when FUNCTION
> is overloaded.  However, this is not the only case in which the target
> of a 'break' command is ambiguous.  Consider
>
>    break FILENAME:LINENUM
>
> Normally, this refers to a single location in a program, but if this line
> is in the middle of a C++ template, a multiply #included file, or an
> Ada generic definition, it may refer to several locations.  Currently,
> GDB chooses one of these silently.

We have discussed this issue many times in the past, as recently as two
weeks ago.  In the beginning of 2005 I posted a prototype patch to set
only a single breakpoint, but associate it with multiple locations.  I
still firmly believe that that is the correct solution.  However, the
patch was never finished.

Those menus have got to go.  They're (a) confusing to users (in my
opinion, no real data), and (b) extremely awkward for graphical
frontends.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery