Re: Debugging on v8plus

> Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 08:15:49 -0800
> From: Olatunji Ruwase <Olatunji.Ruwase@Sun.COM>
>
> Hello,
>
>  I imagine that this issue has been discussed in the past, but I ve been
> unable to find much information searching through the archives. So
> pardon me for asking, but I m curious as to why there is no gdb support
> for debugging v8plus applications (i.e 64 bit registers in a 32 bit
> environment). Is it because this isnt important to users ?.

I'm not aware of any people who develop such applications, let alone
people who have requested this feature.

> Or is there some other technical reason ?.

Not really except for the fact that it's a bit pointless to compicate
gdb with code thyat nobody uses.  A possible technical reason would be
that it should be possible for gdb to recognize such v8plus binaries.

> In other words will a patch for this support be accepted into gdb ?.

If you think there are people who actually need this and the copyright
on the changes is assigned to the FSF, there's no reason for us not to
accept it.

Mark