Re: $thread convenience variable

On Fri, Feb 03, 2006 at 01:54:08PM +0000, Andrew STUBBS wrote:
> Vladimir Prus wrote:
> >Is that technically feasible? The $thread variable must be set before the
> >call to bpstat_stop_status, otherwise you can't use $thread in breakpoint
> >condition. Well, you can, but when evaluating breakpoint condition you'll
> >use the old value of $thread, not the number of the thread where we've
> >stopped.
> >
> >Unless cli-script.c is somehow invoked from handle_inferior_event.
>
> You're quite right, cli-script.c probably isn't the place to put this
> stuff. It would convert it at the wrong time and wouldn't work. Somehow
> I got confused with attaching command scripts to the breakpoint, not
> conditions. In that case it would work.
>
> What I really meant to say was _like_ the ones in cli-script.c. The code
> might live somewhere else.
>
> My point was that a (read-only) substitution might be better than a
> generic convenience variable for this purpose.
>
> Anyway, it was just a suggestion, and, thinking about it again, it
> probably would be quite difficult to get it substituted in all the right
> places at all the right times without limiting its scope somehow.

It ought to be able to live near the rest of the internalvar code in
value.c, I expect.

But you're right that this wouldn't be easy.  If you want to implement
the simpler version (last stopped thread), I recommend naming it
something else, so that we don't get bug reports about it not following
"thread".  And that will leave the option of implementing "$thread"
open, later.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery