Re: Next release ?

On 2/8/06, Joel Brobecker <brobecker@adacore.com> wrote:
> Would it be a good time now to start scheduling a new release sometime
> in the future? I'd like to discuss the following topics:
>
>   1. Is it worth doing a re-spin of 6.4?
>
>      I looked at the list of fixes in the branch, and my initial
>      impression is: NO. Not enough fixes, nothing really major.
>
>   2. When would be a good time for the next major release?
>
>      I think we have enough interesting features put in that it would
>      make it an intersting new release.
>
>      Any other improvements planned in the near future? Any fixes that
>      would be nice to have for the next release?
>
> Depending on what comes up from this discussion, we might want to think
> about branching in a few weeks or so, and releasing a couple of weeks
> after that. I've found in the previous release that one month was too
> much, and nothing much happened during this period. Might as well
> release early, and do a respin if necessary.

It's my sense that there's actually a minimum time that should elapse
between releases, absent something really astonishing --- around three
months feels good to me.  The last release was at the beginning of
Dec, so the next one shouldn't be before the beginning of March.

(Of course, maybe checkpoints are really astonishing.  I haven't tried
them yet.)