ia64 register cache (not!)

Dear all,

The ia64 (on suse9.3) of gdb seems to not use the PTRACE_GETREGS, but
goes fetching each register in turn.  This seems a bit crazy, and the
source of some very slow behaviour (given the number of ia64 registers!).

There seems to be some source that was intended to handle the GETREGS
but is probably not being called (ia64-linux-nat.c).

When I debug, gdb is definitely calling the fetch_inferior_registers
defined inside infptrace.c (btw, this is GDB from June'05, but it seems
that the excessive ptrace behaviour is the same in most recent CVS too)..

Anyone have an idea why it's this way?  I've watched how gdb handles the
i386 version -- going off into fetch_inferior_registers in i386-linux-nat.c.

d.