Re: MI: reporting of multiple breakpoints

On Fri, Feb 17, 2006 at 03:01:50PM -0500, Paul Koning wrote:
> I think it is wrong to step around a breakpoint that's set at a
> different instruction than one that triggers a watchpoint.  For
> example, suppose I'm monitoring a variable by setting a watchpoint,
> and setting up a command sequence to print an expression and
> continue.  Separate from that, I want the program to break at line x.
>
> It is a bad thing for the break at x to fail due to the bad luck of
> having a watch exception at the preceding instruction.  If the two
> stops happened to be the SAME instruction, then you have plausible
> deniability.  But not if they are different instructions.

This just doesn't scale.  Now the user places two breakpoints at foo
(via complicated scripts, say) and one of them has continue in its
commands list.  The user could make the exact same argument to complain
that we "didn't stop".

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery