Re: MI and pending breakpoints

On Mar 15, 2006, at 8:21 AM, Bob Rossi wrote:

On Wed, Mar 15, 2006 at 08:19:59AM -0800, Jim Ingham wrote:
You need to set the gdb variable "pending" to "on" before setting the
breakpoint. Since this is kind of a pain, we added a "-f" option to -
break-insert that will do this for you wrapped around the breakpoint
setting ("-f" because this feature was called "future-break" in the
NeXT gdb many years ago.)

It's also arguable that for -break-insert you ALWAYS want "pending"
to be "on".

That's how annotate=2 works. However, I think GDB should query the user
the same way it does from the CLI. It's wierd when people start using my
front end and ask why it behaves differently than the CLI.

Not sure I agree with this. AFAICT, the main reason for asking the user is that you can easily mis-type a file:line spec, and it's good to have the CLI tell you this didn't set so you can check your spelling. But this should not be possible for the most common type of breakpoint in a UI, which is clicking in the gutter of an editor window.

I think having the UI query would be disruptive...

Jim