Re: MI: changing breakpoint location

Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:
On Fri, Mar 17, 2006 at 12:07:27PM +1300, Nick Roberts wrote:

> Now, I have to delete the old breakpoint and create the new one, which is
> workable, but not convenient.

I don't find a problem with that, but it would be nice if when a program is
edited and recompiled that GDB could track the line number.  So, for example
if the breakpoint is on line 10, say, and lines 4 and 5 are deleted, then
after recompiling and restarting, its on line 8.  I think Visual Stuio has
this feature.  I have no idea how easy/hard it would be to implement.

Hard.  RMS once asked for a simpler version of this, which is to track
breakpoints by line number relative to the start of the function; but
really we ought to be able to do this very well.

I'm thinking something like "remember a couple lines of context, if you
can find the same context, adjust the breakpoint and warn the user". But there's some risk of it landing in the wrong place; I don't know
how to do it reliably but I bet a motivated developer would come up
with something :-)

Of course, then we'd have to let the MI interpreter know about the
change too, so that the editor could refresh.  I have no idea whether
GUIs would want this behavior or not; wouldn't they want to track it
themselves assuming you used the GUI's editor?

I can't see why you would want to do it anyplace *other* than the editor. It would know for sure which lines had been added and deleted. Anything else would just be guessing.

David Daney.