Re: printing wchar_t*

As far as conveying strings accurately to GUI's via MI is concerned:

It's fine to improve the way MI conveys data to the front end.  It
seems to me we still need to do things like repetition elimination and
length limiting, but that syntax should certainly be designed to make
the front ends' life easier.

I'm not so sure about GDB doing character set conversion.  I think I'd
rather see GDB concentrate on accurately and safely conveying target
code points to the front end, and make the front end responsible for
displaying it.  If the front end hasn't asked GDB to "print" the value
in GDB's own way, then the front end has accepted responsibility for
presentation, it seems to me.