Re: Reporting unsupported things.

On Mon, Apr 24, 2006 at 05:00:44PM -0700, PAUL GILLIAM wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-04-24 at 16:55 -0400, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:
> > We want to say that reverse execution is not supported.
>
> I have been given a similar request.  My users want to see a message
> like "a 32-bit ppc GDB can't debug a 64-bit ppc target program".

This is not at all the same problem.  You could just refuse to create
one if GDB was configured inappropriately.

> In general, it would be nice if GDB could detect that it was being asked
> to do something it can't do as soon as it was asked.

The problem is "where does it become obvious that we can't do what the
user wants"?  A powerpc-linux GDB can probably remote debug a 64-bit
binary.  It's native debug that presents a problem.

> PS:  In theory, a 32-bit GDB running on a 64-bit ppc host could debug a
> 64-bit target: "ptrace" allegedly supports this.  The current ppc port,
> however, does not.

Richard Henderson posted patches for this months ago.  They should be
looked at again.  I've done similar for MIPS.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery