Re: Unused variables in testsuite

On Fri, Apr 28, 2006 at 04:38:56PM +0200, Christophe LYON wrote:
> Is there anywhere a requirement that the compiler should allocate unused
> variable under -O0 ?

This sort of requirement is never documented anywhere; it's just a
question of common practice.  Which in practice means GCC, until
someone is interested in making it more portable.

> For instance, consider the test in gdb.cp/m-static.cc , m-static.h,
> m-static1.cc.
> You can see that in main() one defines "test4" which is not used, thus
> need not be allocated. Then, using "print test4.elsewhere" under GDB
> fails. [note that in this case the default (empty) constructor for test4
> has no side effects, thus test4 can be eliminated safely]
>
> In the same way, in gdb.mi/var-cmd.c , mi-var-display.exp, you can see
> that function do_special_tests() defines several variables (eg 'u') and
> does not use them, while the .exp file tries to "-var-create u * u".
>
> I modified these tests so that the variables are used, and they now pass
> with our compiler.
>
> May I submit this small patch, or is there a requirement on GCC to
> allocate even unused variables in -O0? (our compiler is not GCC)

I'd recommend submitting it.  We (CodeSourcery) have been slowly
submitting patches to allow the testsuite to run with yet another
compiler (ARM's); we hadn't gotten to this one yet, but I think it's in
there somewhere, because I remember having to modify m-static*.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery