Re: asynchronous MI output commands

On Sat, May 06, 2006 at 12:06:37AM -0400, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:
> On Sat, May 06, 2006 at 04:03:18PM +1200, Nick Roberts wrote:
> > Can't you just consider it as output?  What would your parser do differently
> > if it was classed as one or other?
> >
> > I think making the output asynchronous just determines how the front end can
> > interact with GDB, not its content.
>
> Correct.  I think that "asynchronous" is a loaded term; it has too many
> meanings, most of which don't apply here.  Synchronous output is the
> response to a command.

Right, synchronous is a response to a command. That's also the
definition I was using. However the initial output is not a response to
a command and it also does not semantically end up being asynchronous.

I think this case doesn't make any sense. It should probably be
something like,

$ gdb -i=mi
~"GNU gdb 6.3-debian\n"
~"Copyright 2004 Free Software Foundation, Inc.\n"
~"GDB is free software, covered by the GNU General Public License, and you are\n"
~"welcome to change it and/or distribute copies of it under certain conditions.\n"
~"Type \"show copying\" to see the conditions.\n"
~"There is absolutely no warranty for GDB.  Type \"show warranty\" for details.\n"
~"This GDB was configured as \"i486-linux-gnu\"."
~"\n"
*db-started
(gdb)

Are there any other cases like this? If not, do you mind if I make this
change?

BTW, I'm not trying to rock the boat here, I'm just trying to understand
how to classify each MI output command that I'm looking at.

Thanks,
Bob Rossi