Re: TODO List?

Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:

[If you intend for your research work to be usable by and incorporated
into mainline GDB some day, you may want to work on copyright
assignment paperwork.  Since this is university research work, the
university would have to submit some paperwork too - this can take ages
to sort out, so if you want it done, it's good to start early :-)]

Right, and it is often very hard to convince universities to yield the "intellectual property rights" involved. But please try hard. An interesting little note here is that the government contract for gnat required the copyright to be assigned to the FSF (this contract actually had the entire text of the GPL and required release under the GPL, a quite interesting provision for such a contract). At the end of the period of support, NYU initially balked at assigning the copyright, but I pointed out they had signed a contract requiring them to do so, and they finally did.

If anyone has trouble negotiating with university authorities in
this regard, I am happy to try to help out (since I have had quite
a bit of experience in doing this in a university environment).

Robert Dewar