Re: MI: event notification

 > > Using the patch, "=stack-changed\n" gets printed every time the stack
 > > changes e.g
 >
 > Good idea in general, bad choice of example.  This is not a valid
 > optimization, at least not where you put it.
 >
 > - Stepping within a frame can change the values displayed by
 >   -stack-list-arguments.  On most targets + compilers they
 >   are sometimes corrupt at the beginning of a function.  On
 >   many targets the "incoming" value of the argument changes
 >   when that variable is assigned to.

In this case, though, -stack-list-frames would be unchanged?

 > - You can encounter the same frame ID for two consecutive stops
 >   but have a different backtrace, e.g. if you continued and then
 >   hit a breakpoint near the same function.

Do you mean that with something like:

 myproc (arg1);
 myproc (arg2);

the frame id on the second call to myproc would be identical to the
first?  Presumably the output to -stack-list-frames would be unchanged
in this case also.

 > A good place to start might be asking the Xcode folks where they put
 > events.  I know they put a bunch of them, e.g. shlib related.  I don't
 > know if they're all suitable for GDB/MI, but I bet most of them are.
 > (And I think I talked with Jim about this particular one at some point,
 > and they either didn't have one, or didn't use it for much).

If they can give me a few clues that will be great, but I only want to trawl
through the code in Darwin, like I did for the asynchronous stuff, as a last
resort.  I am hoping that this will be an easier nut to crack.