Re: why is "gdb /home/gat/JAVA/JDK16/jdk1.6.0/bin/java" so broken?

hi,

I haven't check the source code for JDK1.6.0 yet. But I think it probably is the same as the code of JDK1.5. In JDK1.5, file java_md.c, itself will check if the LD_LIBRARY_PATH is set correct. If yes, it will continue execution. Otherwise, it will call execve() that will bring troubles to GDB. My workaround is to just set LD_LIBRARY_PATH correct, if you really are interested in debugging java_g.

These days, I am debugging jdk 1.4.2. Although this trick will still work, I got a seg. fault later. Is there anybody else working on that problem?

Thanks,
Neo

U. George wrote:
After some 60min of running javasoft's java, the program finally dies of a segfault. I have been trying, and apparently for several years now, according to the gdb bug base, to get GDB to work with java & threads.
Version 6.4 does not work any better.
there is something wrong in libthread_db.so. I'm not yet willing to just replace the libs, as this may affect the 'heap' bug that shows itself randomly.

So whats goin on with gdb?

[gat@MyLaptop ~]$ gdb /home/gat/JAVA/JDK16/jdk1.6.0/bin/java
GNU gdb Red Hat Linux (6.3.0.0-1.84rh)
There is absolutely no warranty for GDB. Type "show warranty" for details.
This GDB was configured as "i386-redhat-linux-gnu"...(no debugging symbols found)
Using host libthread_db library "/lib/tls/i686/libthread_db.so.1".

(gdb) r
Starting program: /home/gat/JAVA/JDK16/jdk1.6.0/bin/java
Reading symbols from shared object read from target memory...(no debugging symbols found)...done.
Loaded system supplied DSO at 0xd46000
(no debugging symbols found)
[New Thread 2251072 (LWP 2428)]
(no debugging symbols found)
(no debugging symbols found)
(no debugging symbols found)
(no debugging symbols found)
Cannot find user-level thread for LWP 2428: generic error
(gdb)

-- I would remember that if researchers were not ambitious probably today we haven't the technology we are using!