Re: The 'download_write_size' var

On Thu, Jun 29, 2006 at 07:14:01PM +0400, Vladimir Prus wrote:

> Hi,
> at the moment, gdb has a 'download_write_var' variable that control max block
> size sent to remote by the 'load' command. The default value if '512'.
>
> I've some questions:
>
> 1. Is separate limit for 'load' meaningful? We have a limit for packet size
> already.
>
> 2. Is the default size sensible? '512' is pretty low value.
>
> 3. Would anybody object to a patch removing this variable completely?

I think one of the limits should go away.

We don't have a user settable limit for the remote packet size, just
for the remote memory write size.  But it's more or less equivalent for
this purpose.  The question becomes whether we should have a single
high-level limit that works for all targets, or whether targets where
having a limit is sensible should provide their own.  I don't think it
makes enough difference to quibble about it, so let's remove
download-write-size.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery