GDB pie

It seems right now I can't get gdb to debug a program compiled with gcc
as:

gcc -fpic -fpie -ggdb pie.c -o pie

Somewhere there were some patches floating around that allowed gdb to
handle position independent executables; but I can't find them* and
don't know if they're up to date.

Anyone have any ideas on this?  I know the patches are out there
somewhere, it'd be nice if whoever wrote them worked into getting them
into mainline, assuming they're still maintained.  Using PIE binaries is
a security feature that can be found in RedHat and Gentoo; it's
recommended to build the entire system PIE by the PaX project as well.

*Google:  gdb "position independent executable" patch; gdb "position
independent executable"; gdb position independent executable; gdb pie
patch; gdb pie

--
John Moser <john.r.moser@gmail.com>