Error running remote gdb

Hi
On our custome based powerpc we are running Linux 2.6.11.
I am trying to run a sample debug session with gdbserver.

On target board I typed:
gdbserver <host ip address>:portno <test program>

Then on host system I  typed:
gdb <test program>
gdb> target extended-remote <target IP addr>:portno
gdb> b main
gdb> cont

Then I got the following error on my host;
Ignoring packet erro, continuing...
Ignoring packet erro, continuing...
Reply contains invalid hex digit 116

At no time I was able to set a breakpoint and run
the application test?

Also on the remote site I got the following message
after gdb command I typed:
Process test created; pid = 23451
Listening on port 2001
Remote debugging from host <Ip addr>
Killing inferior             <== I think I typed "run" 2 tim3s
GDBserver restarting
Process test creatted; pid=.....

Any help greatl apprieciated.
Thanks,