argc argv problems

Daniel,

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you.  I had
not subscribed to the gdb group yet, so I had not seen
your reply earlier.

This GDB was configured as "i586-suse-linux".

based off of your comments I tried a couple things.
version 6.3 that came on my suse distro was broke.
6.5 that was built on a suse box was broke.  I
downloaded the 6.5 rebuilt it on a different machine
and all is well, everything works as expected.

Thanks for your help.  From the threads your a very
busy man.   I will continue to play with this and
maybe throw in some debug on the bad build and figure
out the problem.

but from your perspective the code is good, must be
some kind of build problem

On Fri, Aug 25, 2006 at 02:30:13PM -0700, Lee wrote:
> I am doing all of this on linux gdb build
> gdb-6.5.50.20060823
>
> I dumbed down my script for demo purposes here
> I even downloaded some sample .gdbinit files and
they
> did not work either
>
> I am not sure if this is a bug, or user error

Your GDB appears to be very, very broken.  I get
completely different
results using the same gdbinit, which look correct.

> edircpr:/gdb/gdb-6.5.50.20060823/gdb # vi ~/.gdbinit
> edircpr:/gdb/gdb-6.5.50.20060823/gdb # gdb
> GNU gdb 6.4
> GDB is free software, covered by the GNU General
> Public License, and you are
> welcome to change it and/or distribute copies of it
> under certain conditions.

You appear to have edited out your platform.  Where
are you running
this?
> I have also tried using $ARGC etc, but I think the
> correct one to use is $argc $argv

$argc and $arg0 and $arg1.

> Also I have not found any good scripting references
> specific to gdb.  While it is very similar to other
> things, there are things that work special like
printf
> that are close but not the same.

It's all in the GDB manual.  Search for $argc.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery