Re: tracepoint bytecode question

Hi

I was just wondering if there was any follow-up to the problem
mentioned below?

I am using gdb to trace a remote target (i386). After i386_gdbarch_init
in i386-tdep is called, gdbarch->virtual_frame_pointer is still

pointing at legacy_virtual_frame_pointer (in arch-utils.c) function call.

What is the "correct" way of initializing the virtual_frame_pointer field
in i386_gdbarch_init?

The problem is that since DEPRECATED_FP_REGNUM is not initialized,

legacy_virtual_frame_pointer returns SP_REGNUM (%esp, reg 4). This is
called by gen_frame_args_address (ax-gdb.c), when I collect a function
argument, but the argument in my case should be with respect to %ebp

(reg 5). Am I missing anything?

Thanks for the help.
Ke

Der Herr Hofrat <der.herr@hofr.at> writes:
after writing up tracepoints in a minimum version that actually kind of

 works (gdb-6.3) I noticed that there seems to be a lot of problems with
 the actual bytecode generated. simple things like

 collect $reg
 collect variable_name

work ok, if it gets any more complicated the bytecode seems to be wrong

i.e.

 collect x->y
 collect var1 + var2

 will produce wrong offsets and thus garbage traces, same thing if compiled
 with optimization...

so what I would like to know is how I can figure out what the bytecode

 should look like of if it is correct and its my interpreter that is scewing
 up - is there any more detailed document on the way bytecode gets calculated
 or am I down to "read the source" - calculating the X packet output on paper

 the addresses that are finally recorded seem to be wrong. scaning the path
 I found the following in the source - which may be someone could
 explain ?

Well, you can have GDB print the bytecode for any expression with the

'maint agent' command.  The definition of the bytecode language is in
Appendix E of the GDB manual ("The GDB Agent Expression Mechanism").
'info addr' ought to show you where a variable is located, but it

currently does not; instead, you can dump DWARF debugging information
with 'readelf -wi'.

If you've come across a variable whose location is being compiled to
bytecode incorrectly, please let us know and post what you've found.

It's okay if you don't have a patch; it's valuable just to have an
example we can work from.

If you can, you should try working with GDB 6.4.

void legacy_virtual_frame_pointer (CORE_ADDR pc,

                              int *frame_regnum,
                              LONGEST *frame_offset)
{
  /* FIXME: cagney/2002-09-13: This code is used when identifying the
     frame pointer of the current PC.  It is assuming that a single

     register and an offset can determine this.  I think it should
     instead generate a byte code expression as that would work better
     with things like Dwarf2's CFI.  */
  if (DEPRECATED_FP_REGNUM >= 0 && DEPRECATED_FP_REGNUM < NUM_REGS)

    *frame_regnum = DEPRECATED_FP_REGNUM;
  else if (SP_REGNUM >= 0 && SP_REGNUM < NUM_REGS)
    *frame_regnum = SP_REGNUM;
  else
    /* Should this be an internal error?  I guess so, it is reflecting

       an architectural limitation in the current design.  */
    internal_error (__FILE__, __LINE__, "No virtual frame pointer available");
  *frame_offset = 0;
}

is the offset really always 0 ??

Also the register used here is SP_REGNUM (4 on i386) but it should be 5 ??

The code in question has not really changed in 6.4 - so this should hold
for the current gdb - I did not want to move on to a newer version without

this woring first.

Hmm. I'm surprised we're using this at all. Is GDB really producing symbols of type LOC_ARG and LOC_REF_ARG?