Re: GDB stub - connection from 32 bit GDB or 64 bit GDB

It always amazes me how a problem will be known but quiet for a couple
of years, and then half a dozen people will look at it at once :-)

On Wed, Sep 27, 2006 at 10:34:45AM -0700, Mitchell Fang wrote:
> Hi,
>
>  How can the gdb stub know if a 32 bit GDB is connecting to the stub
> or a 64 bit GDB is connecting to the stub?   Is it even possible?  It
> doesn't seem possible to me looking at the current gdb remote
> commands, but hopefully I overlooked something.

It's not possible.

>  I have tried different combinations with 32-bit and 64-bit GDBs and
> gdbservers and it seems like a 32 bit GDB will not work with a 64 bit
> gdbserver and vice versa.

The stub shouldn't adapt: the GDB client should.  This may be of
interest:
  http://sourceware.org/ml/gdb-patches/2006-09/msg00187.html
  http://sourceware.org/ml/gdb-patches/2006-09/msg00188.html

I'm less optimistic I'll have my code out this week, but I'm still
trying.  What architecture are you using?

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery