Re: GDB stub - connection from 32 bit GDB or 64 bit GDB

On 9/27/06, Daniel Jacobowitz <drow@false.org> wrote:
It always amazes me how a problem will be known but quiet for a couple
of years, and then half a dozen people will look at it at once :-)

On Wed, Sep 27, 2006 at 10:34:45AM -0700, Mitchell Fang wrote:
> Hi,
>
>  How can the gdb stub know if a 32 bit GDB is connecting to the stub
> or a 64 bit GDB is connecting to the stub?   Is it even possible?  It
> doesn't seem possible to me looking at the current gdb remote
> commands, but hopefully I overlooked something.

It's not possible.

>  I have tried different combinations with 32-bit and 64-bit GDBs and
> gdbservers and it seems like a 32 bit GDB will not work with a 64 bit
> gdbserver and vice versa.

The stub shouldn't adapt: the GDB client should.  This may be of
interest:
  http://sourceware.org/ml/gdb-patches/2006-09/msg00187.html
  http://sourceware.org/ml/gdb-patches/2006-09/msg00188.html

I'm less optimistic I'll have my code out this week, but I'm still
trying.  What architecture are you using?

The target architecture is PowerPC and the host architecture is i686 cygwin.

Thanks for your help and I will await your patch.

Mitchell

-- Daniel Jacobowitz CodeSourcery