Re: Merge of nickrob-async-20060513 to mainline?

 > > Perhaps I can use __WALL as a catch all.
 >
 > There's supposedly some supported kernel versions left where that
 > didn't work.

OK, but this approach (using waitpid (-1, &status, WNOHANG | __WALL); in
gdb_wait_for_event) looks more promising than nickrob-async-20060513.  It
didn't work with pthreads because the thread is _always_ waiting and receives
status information that other parts of the code waits on. Multi-thread tests
now work. Ignoring sigstep.exp (which doesn't work on mainline for me now
anyway), I get:

		=== gdb Summary ===

# of expected passes		10707
# of unexpected failures	55
# of unexpected successes	1
# of expected failures		42
# of unknown successes		3
# of known failures		70
# of unresolved testcases	103
# of untested testcases		5
# of unsupported tests		4

with fails (where mainline doesn't) that include:

1) checkpoint.exp, mult-forks.exp which fail with
   "ERROR: internal buffer is full." because the message
   "select: Bad file descriptor" is repeatedly generated.

2) A couple of fails in attach.exp, define.exp

3) Extra failures in staticthreads.exp

I attach the compressed diff (28 Sep 2006) below.  I put the line:

set GDBFLAGS "--async"

at the end of site.exp for the tests.  Asynchronous output from MI requires
new tests but I haven't included these in the diff.