Solib loading of bare file names

I'm having trouble with solib_open and loading of library files when only the bare file name is known (i.e. there is no absolute or relative path).

Obviously I would like GDB to be able to find these files with the minimum of trouble, and the current search implementation is perhaps a little deficient, but I am having trouble figuring out what is the intended behaviour.

The comment at the top of solib_open begins as follows:

   * If there is a solib_absolute_prefix and path is absolute:
   *   Search for solib_absolute_prefix/path.
   * else
   *   Look for it literally (unmodified).

This would appear to indicate that a bare file name would fall into the 'else' case and Just Work.

What actually happens is that the literal lookup only occurs for relative paths. I.e. file names with directory separators in them.

The comment (which says what I want to happen) and the code seem to be at odds. Would a patch to rectify the code be welcome, or would you prefer the comment corrected?

I know that 'set solib-search-path .' will solve my problems, as does having my programs specify the file names with a './' prefix, but it would be less surprising if it could just find files in the current directory. Obviously, I don't expect it to find files not in the current directory without some help, but that's the point - I don't *expect* it to do that. I don't imagine the average user finds that surprising either.

Thanks

Andrew Stubbs