Re: Set --disable-werror by default again for the release?

Joel Brobecker wrote:
Hello,

A user reported that he failed to build GDB on x86-linux, I think
it was RedHat FC 5. The builds are due to warnings beeing treated
as errors.

For the last release, I turned --disable-werror by default because
I didn't want users to get their build stuck because of warnings.
I thought there would be less issues with that with this release,
but maybe I'm wrong.

Because C compilers vary a lot in the warnings they emit, and newer
compilers always find newer warnings, I am starting to think that
we might want to produce all our released with --disable-werror by
default. More work for me, but less hassle for the users...

Possibly less work for you, as you will not have to answer all those questions about failed builds by telling people to configure with --disable-werror.

What does everyone think?

It is a good idea.

David Daney