GDB solib interface

I am running GDB to debug a remote application.  If I find that a shared
library has been loaded, I would like to use the solib interface to load
the appropriate shared library symbols.

So lets assume that I have the file name of the shared library, that was
just loaded, how do I inform the solib subsystem that to load the
symbols.

Having used the debugger to look at my cross debugger (which is the one
that is doing the remote debugging) I see that both solib-null.c and
solib-svr4.c are both being compiled and linked in.

The debugger is built with --host=i686-pc-cygwin and
--target=powerpc-motorola-elf