Re: Symbols in same range

On Wed, Dec 13, 2006 at 09:44:47AM +0100, Fabian Cenedese wrote:
> Hi
>
> Is it correct to have several symbols in the same symtab range? Like:

Yes, this is not uncommon.  For instance, if one source file defines
linkonce routines or functions in multiple sections.

I have worked on several problems related to this one lately.  Are you
using GDB HEAD?  If not, does it do any better?  Does the patch in this
message help?
  http://sourceware.org/ml/gdb-patches/2006-12/msg00005.html

> 			find_pc_sect_psymtab, pc=0x99928
> 				lookup_minimal_symbol_by_pc_section
> 				-> msymbol="_INI_0200_INOS"
> 				tpst='Inos_mod.cpp'
> 				find_pc_sect_psymbol
> 				-> p="CEnd"
> 			-> ps='Inos_mod.cpp'
> 		-> s='Inos_mod.cpp'
> 		best_symtab=NULL
> 	-> .line=0
>
> The found msymbol is always correct, but when gdb continues to find
> the corresponding block it takes the symtab from a wrong file. But the
> addresses in there don't match (only the range) and the returned
> result is .line=0.

There should be a psymbol in the correct psymtab which is closer to the
specified pc.  What symbols are at or directly before that location?

> Is this an error in the finding strategy of gdb, like, it should look
> in all symtabs and not only in the first whose range matches?

It should find the correct psymtab.  You'll see that
find_pc_sect_psymtab actually loops over them all.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery