Re: Likely obsolete pieces of GDB

Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:
This is something I've been meaning to do for a long time.  GDB is, in
my humble opinion, overdue for some pruning.  I went through the GDB
source tree and identified every file that I believe is obsolete: code
only used for systems, formats, targets, etc. where support in new
versions of GDB is not useful, which is thus a candidate for removal.

Most of this stuff has been around for a long time, and it won't hurt
to keep it around a little longer.  So let's take our time.  If you
see anything on this list that you'd miss, please say so!  I've left a
lot of things off the list which I'd rather remove, but have seen
signs of life for; if there's something you'd add to the list, please
say that too.  After some discussion, I recommend we post the list
to gdb-announce.  I'm not sure if that really reaches a wider audience,
but it may.

I've CC'd people I had particular questions for.  And now, the lists!
Targets, then entire subdirectories, then files.

Native and cross targets which might be obsolete:

remote-e7000.c

	"Remote debugging interface for Renesas E7000 ICE".
	I found a sad looking one on ebay, but that's the only thing
	I could find from this decade.

remote-est.c

	"Remote debugging interface for EST-300 ICE".  I couldn't
	find even that much life.

remote-hms.c

An on-board ROM monitor for Renesas boards. No signs of life.

remote-mips.c

	I think this is support for the built-in monitor of PMON.
	I see that Atsushi Nemoto reported a problem with this in 2003,
	so it might be worth keeping.

remote-sds.c

A remote monitor target for some PowerPC boards?

remote-st.c

	"Remote debugging interface for Tandem ST2000 phone switch"
	GDB is now the source of every google hit I checked for this
	product.

remote-utils.c
remote-utils.h

	I think that all the code in this file is actually dead.
	I had a patch to remove it at some point but forgot about it.

I used some of these as examples to make a gdb interface for an AVR JTAG debugger to work directly in gdb instead of needing that shim garbage.

It could be useful to keep atleast one good example for anyone else that
needs to do the same.