gdb very slow during 'step into'

Hello gdb hackers and users,

First of all, I would like to wish a happy new year to you and your families.
I hope this year will be full of achievements (again) for gdb people.

Now the real meat of my post :-)

I have noticed that gdb was very slow (taking 100% of CPU during
several tens of seconds) when I step into some functions (with the
step command, on the cli interface).

I am not sure, but I think it happens when I step into functions that
are defined in certain shared libraries. Once in the function,
subsequent steping into functions of the same library are okay. Once
out of the library, stepping into a function of that library can be
slow again.

The problem is that I cannot reproduce this problem all the time.

I have straced gdb during one of this slow stepping. You can find the
log at http://dodji.seketeli.free.fr/gdb/slow-step-into-trace.txt.

The debugged language is C++. I have noticed the problem with gdb
6.4.90, 6.5 and 6.6.
My system is debian testing.

Are these information valuable to investigate the problem ? If yes, I
can file a bug in the gnatsweb application if you wish. If not, please
tell me what information I can add to make provide you guys with
valuable information.

Cheers,

Dodji.