Re: gdb very slow during 'step into'

On Wed, Jan 03, 2007 at 10:58:04PM +0100, dodji Seketeli wrote:
> Hello Jim,
>
> > Could you apply the following patch to GDB and see if it makes the
> > problem go away,
> >even  with LD_BIND_NOW left unset?
> >
> >(Tested without regressions on Fedora Core 6 IA-32.  I haven't been
> >able to reproduce the problem myself, so I'm just guessing that this
> >is the patch.)
>
> I have applied the patch and it doesn't help, unfortunately.

You said that this is a Debian system, right?  Could you try using the
system GDB, and making sure that the libc6-dbg package is installed?

That adds separated debugging symbols for libc, including ld.so.  It
may help.  If so, you can make GDBs you build yourself use them too
by configuring with --prefix=/usr.  You don't need to install them
there; it just sets the default for the debug-file-directory variable.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery