Re: Reversible Debugging

On Mon, Jan 08, 2007 at 10:30:33PM +0200, Itzhak Ben-Akiva wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I read on http://www.fsf.org/campaigns/priority.html - High Priority
> Free Software Projects that the GDB maintainers are looking for
> contributors interested in expanding the foundations of reversible
> debugging to GDB. I'm very interested in taking over this project. Is
> there anyone already working on it? I'll start by read the project's
> documentation and the patches released. However, I would appreciate
> any suggestions or guidance on how to start.
>
> I'd appreciate any comments or suggestions.

Welcome!  No one is currently working on it; the patches I know of are
either included in the current CVS HEAD version of GDB (for fork-based
checkpoints on GNU/Linux), or posted to the gdb-patches mailing list.
Search for "reverse" in the archives during March and April 2006 to
find support for reverse execution commands which work with a remote
simulator target which supports reverse execution.  As you can tell
from the patches, Michael Snyder did all of that work.

There's also support for reverse simulation of the xstormy16 target
using Red Hat's "sid" simulator, posted to the sid and GDB lists in
September 2006.

That's about where we stand today.  Where we go from here is unclear -
this message and the news post you followed contain just about
everything I know on the subject.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery