main(), registers and gdb

I have an issue (I hesitate to say a problem) related to register saving and debugging on the linux/x86 platform using gdb 4.1.0.

If the following code is compiled with 'gcc -g -O0 -o test test.c', the address of argc is passed into func() in the ecx register. Since ecx is not preserved after the call to printf(), the address of argc is corrupted on return from func(). Normally this would not be a problem, since argc is never used in the code.

    #include <stdio.h>
    #include <stdlib.h>

    int func(int *x)
    {
        printf("in func\n");
        return 0;
    }

    int main(int argc, char *argv[])
    {
        func(&argc);
        //func(&argc);;
        printf("hello\n");
        return 0;
    }

However, when run under gdb, commands that view the stack frame produce strange results, and some commands (e.g. -var-update) actually crash the debugger.

    Breakpoint 1, main (argc=1, argv=0xbffcef14) at test.c:14
    12              func(&argc);
    (gdb) n
    in func
    14              printf("hello\n");
    (gdb) where
    #0  main (argc=Cannot access memory at address 0x4
    ) at test.c:16
    (gdb)

If line 13 is uncommented the problem goes away, apparently because the compiler recognizes that argc is used and so must be preserved. Also, this problem is not apparent on other x86 platforms (at least Darwin), because eax is used instead of ecx.

This problem is of concern when debugging programs because it introduces unexpected behavior, even with optimization disabled.

I would appreciate any comments from the gcc and gdb communities on this issue, and would be interested to know if there are any compiler options and/or other means of disabling this behavior.

Thanks,

Greg