Re: How to tell gdb about dlls using remote protocol

> Sorry, I have to disagree from my own experience.  Pretty much any time
> you stop a running program it's in those DLLs.  And this is doubly true
> for any threaded program - there's always a couple of threads that I
> have no idea what the heck they're doing.

In fact, we have a local modification in our tree (different from the
one I recently suggested) where we default to using %ebp when inside a
frameless function, and inside a DLL.  This is a heuristic way to handle
all those highly optimized functions for which prologue analysis cannot
be used. Short of implementing support for MS symbol info, this is the
only way we could get the backtrace of most threads. This is a hack I
didn't submit because it's a bit crude, and it only exchanges certain
failures for others - but we have found in practice that this was the
right choice for us. I can certainly post it too, if you are interested.

--
Joel