Break in a thread but continue other threads

Is it possible to put a break in one thread but continue all the other
threads? Our developers keep lamenting to me the inadequacies of the gdb
debugger in debugging our run time configured multi-threaded
applications. In several cases I can answer read the manual but in
others I know the persons diligence and capabilities. While ddd is ok it
would not be considered a great interface by any standard. I peronally
am not complaining as I do not use any of the integrated development
environments but I get plenty of input from the developer community;
300+ on just one program.