Re: [RFC] Signed/unsigned character arrays are not strings

On Tue, Feb 27, 2007 at 11:11:32PM +0100, Mark Kettenis wrote:
> Anyway, I'm in favour of restore the traditional gdb behaviour of
> printing all three as strings.

While I haven't seen responses to some of my arguments in favor of the
new behavior, it's obvious that I'm in the minority here.  So, the
behavior ought to change.

I was concerned about Jim's patch, but thinking about it some more, I
would be happy with it (probably with Paul's suggestion).  That's
because "typedef char *name" is reasonably common, but "typedef char
name_unit;" is much less so.  What do those who prefer the old
behavior think of that?

If it's no better, then we're back to what Jan suggested: something
which only works for the GDB int8_t and uint8_t types, to fix the
display of vector registers.

By the way, I was thinking about this last night and wondered if
this is hinting at a sensible meaning for "print /s" ...

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery