GDB Can't Find My Shared Libraries

I'm having a lot of trouble with gdb not finding my shared libraries. When I
invoke gdb with the executable it appears to load it but when I try to run the
program I get a message similar to the following:

/devl/obj/main/LX86/xxx: error while loading shared
libraries: libgorph.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

However, all of the libraries needed are in my LD_LIBRARY_PATH and I can
execute an "ldd" command on the same executable that I started gdb with and it
reports all of the libraries found and in their proper places.

I've done this on several different installation of Redhat Linux with the same
results on each platform. For example, here is the configuration of one of the
systems:

% gdb --version
 GNU gdb Red Hat Linux (6.3.0.0-1.132.EL4rh)

% uname -a
Linux anand 2.6.9-42.ELsmp #1 SMP Wed Jul 12 23:27:17 EDT 2006 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

% cat /etc/redhat-release
 Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS release 4 (Nahant Update 4)

I don't have a .gdbrc file but I do have a .dbxrc file (from when I debug on
Sun systems).

Can anyone tell me what is wrong here or how to give gdb the proper shared
library paths?

Thanks,

Don