RE: GDB Documentation and Request for Help

On 30 March 2007 22:15, Michael Eager wrote:

> Jim Blandy wrote:

>> Michael, your question suggests that you're looking at some code in
>> your old port, and trying to figure out where it goes in your new
>> port.  I would find that a very hard question to answer if I were in
>> your shoes.  Instead, start by reading frame-unwind.h and having your
>> foo_gdbarch_init function call frame_unwind_append_sniffer with a
>> structure containing appropriate functions, written from scratch.
>>
>> In other words, you may be able to use the old port to understand how
>> your target works, but you'll need to decide afresh how to express
>> that understanding in the new arch description framework.
>
> That's exactly the approach I'm taking.
>
>> (Having worked on both, I think the new frame system is *much* nicer
>> to work with, and more reliable.  So your efforts won't be wasted.)
>
> I'm sure that it is.  It's just not documented.  Reading code from
> other targets to figure out what's needed is, well, challenging.
>
> I'll take another look at frame-unwind.h.

  I stumbled across a fairly useful document some time ago: "Porting GDB (1) arch and frame v0.4", at

http://teawater.googlepages.com/epgdb1.pdf

(there's also a .txt equivalent if you'd prefer).  Although it's far from complete, and English is not teawater's first language, it's pretty clear and comprehensible, and has much more up-to-date information than gdbint.

    cheers,
      DaveK